The users are reporting that they are facing some of the latency issues on their Windows computer system. It can happen because of the Windows handle processes and routines. It is true that Windows is not a real-time operating system that is the importance or priority for the real-time audio applications.
It is also possible that CPU can create the issues based on their priority. They are all interrupted service routines. ISR is able to take over the CPU from an audio thread keeping it waited that can result in latency issues. Unfortunately, there is no workaround to solve this, but for the user’s convenience, we are talking about a tool that will help you in the condition. The device is LatencyMon, it will help you to scan and check your computer system if it is appropriate for running real-time audio and other performance.
More about LatencyMon tool
This tool has been announced as an advanced tool. Only power users can be able to use this tool. However, it is not able to do any changes in your system settings, but its terms and features associated are a little bit complex.
LatencyMon is able to support both free and premium variant. This review only for talks about the free variant. Using it, you can check your Windows computer is suitable for real-time audio processing. This UI is very simple and minimalistic.
How to get this tool?
- First of all, you need to download it and then install on your computer system.
- Then click on the green play button to start the analyzing process.
- You can use the analyzer for whatever duration that you want.
- When the analyzer is running, it will show you some of the real-time stats about your computer system hardware.
- This stats will show you the new measured interrupt to process latency; Highest measured interrupt to handle latency, Highest reported ISR routine execution time; Highest said DPC usual execution time. All of the values are in microseconds.
- You can easily track these values yourself or based on these stats.
- The program will show you whether your computer system is suitable for managing real-time audio.
- Besides this, the program will provide you with some of the useful recommendations.
- You can follow these suggestions to get the better response.
- When you have done analyzing your computer system, then you can head over to the Stats tab to see the all of the information results and values.
- The program is also able to show you primary system detailed that is followed by calculated latencies, reported ISRs, DCPs and page faults. It can also see these values individually for each of the CPU in your computer system.
- Followed by Stats tab is the Processes tab where you can see all of the processes along with the number of page faults they reported.
- Then move to the Drivers tab and see a list of drivers along with their ISR and DPC count.
- Apart from this, the highest and total execution time is shown along with each of the driver.
- Also, it can also be able to find out the real culprit causing latency issues. So, you can attempt to fix these issues if it is possible.
- The last tab accounts for the CPU will show you the CPU number along with its ISR count DPC count and execution time.
- It will also provide you the driver with the highest execution time.
LatencyMon is the best choice for the professionals that are working with real-time audio applications. The program is not able to works for primary users. Use this tool, and you need for some knowledge of audio latency and operating systems.